Sunday, July 13, 2008

Metal, Plastic, or Bamboo

Everyone else makes them out of metal. But to do metal you need to weld or "braze" pipe together. Before I started this project I'd never even heard of "brazing." Another posibility is ABS pipe, like water pipes are made of nowadays. I decided against plastic for several reasons:
  • I don't like plastic
  • It gets brittle in cold weather and I live in Vermont
  • I've heard complaints about how it weathers

I wasn't sure if the bonding in plastic weld--adequate for carrying water--would be adequate for carrying 180# of Idle Dad 30 mph over potholes.

Bamboo suggests several advantages to me.

  • It looks cool
  • It's natural flexibility will provide shock absorbancy over frost heaves.
  • I read about how to do bamboo joinery and--unlike brazing--it sounds like something an Idle Dad can do.
  • It is a renewable resource and doesn't offgas solvent vapors
  • I've always liked bamboo

As you can see, my resources are all based in good engineering and sound logic

No comments: