Saturday, July 19, 2008

Working Bamboo

This is my insightful discovery: bamboo is different than wood.

Bamboo is very strong in terms of bending and load bearing. But let something sharp strike it across the grain, and WATCH OUT!

Bamboo handles like a bundle of silk threads running the length of the pole. It is prone to splitting.

  • Don't use a speed bore on bamboo. The moment that spinning blade touches the bamboo, POW! split if not shatter.
  • Be careful using a large-bore (3/16"+) drill bit. A very gentle touch works, but push too hard and it splits.
  • Predrilling with small bore bits helps. Ironically, the spear point on a speed bore has never caused trouble for me, and I use it to pre-drill. Just have to stop before the blade touches.
  • Use small-tooth saws. I used a mitre saw.
  • I wouldn't dare nail it.

Don't know if this will work, or if I'm off on the wrong direction. We'll check in again.

No comments: