Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bracing the frame

I've been adding diagonal braces to the frame poles. It took some experimenting to determine the best way to do this, but this is where I settled:
  1. I use a mitre saw or coping saw to cut two 45deg cuts opposing each other on the inside of the poles, at each end of each brace. These cuts go down only a 1/16th of an inch, not even enough to go through the bamboo wall.
  2. I use a 1/2" chisel to cut out the opening.
  3. I use a dremel or rotary cutting tool with the drum sander to shape one side to the shape of the brace pole. The other side, which takes the end of the brace, is kept flat.
  4. When I have two good openings like this at the proper places on the two poles, I measure and cut the diagonal brace from 1/2" bamboo.
  5. I firmly hold the brace in place, and drill through the frame and brace at a slight angle.
  6. I insert a 2" machine screw (bolt) through the hole and bolt it together.

The use of bolts unfortunately adds a noticeable amount of weight, but appears required. I suppose I could mortise this joint as well, and secure with a pin, but drilling at a 45deg anle into the bamboo would be challenging, and there would be complications, such as the difficulty of getting the brace in between the poles, or of passing it through the poles.

No comments: