Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The frame is started!




I have constructed the first piece of the frame!

This is the two lower poles that for the main part of the frame, which will make a triangle-beam with a third pole. The 1" bamboo poles are joined by short lengths of 1/2" bamboo, mortised and pinned, as shown in this photo:

The wire is 18 gauge galvanized steel I wrapped around the bamboo to prevent/repair splitting when the snug crosspole is inserted (an issue). The pin is a 3/16" hardwood dowel that prevents the crosspole from coming out.

This entire construction has nothing to do with my plans, and indeed contradicts advice I gave elsewhere: a speedbore can be used successfully on bamboo, if the bamboo is prevented from vibrating with a firm parrallel clamp. I decided to go with this joinery option, thinking that I would use several half-inch bamboos for triangulation anyway. Other sites described this sort of motising as a strong joint, and it appeared to be the simplest and least fussy option. Here I go!


No comments: